HADDON Died 18th December 1852, Hannah Haddon, wife of Fencible James Haddon, of comsumption, aged 40 years.

HADLINGTON Died 9th December 1848, William Hadlington, aged 37 years.

HAIR Died 5th March 1921 at the Auckland Hospital, Elizabeth Hair, widow, usually of Princes Street, Otahuhu, aged 68 years. Daughter of John McAnulty, Army pensioner, and Mary Cogan, married at Auckland at age 25 to Frederick hair. No male issue living at time of death. Female issue living - aged 40, 32, 30, 25.

HALE On June 3, 1893, at her residence, The Ferns, Anne, relict of the late Robert James Hale M.D.

HALL On December 9, 1895, at his residence, Tully House, Monaghan, the Rev Richard Augustus Hall, late Rector of Quivvy, Belturbet, aged 72 years.

HALL Another old settler whose face was once familiar to many people of Auckland and the neighbourhood has passes away in the person of the Rev Richard Augustus Hall, for many years incumbent of Howick and the adjacent settlements. Like that of many of our pioneer settlers, Mr Hall's life was a somewhat eventful one. After passing through the usual University course at Trinity College, Dublin, where he received the degree of Master of Arts, he was appointed successively to two curacies in the North of Ireland, the latter of which was Derrygortrevy, in the diocese of Armagh. After spending several years there, he turned his attention to colonial life, principally in view of the future prospects of his large family of boys; and, attracted by a scheme for the formation of a special settlement undertaken by the Auckland Provincial Government, he entered into hearty collaboration with their agent, Captain W. C. Daldy, and was the means of inducing a large number of emigrants, of an unusually excellent class, to accompany him in the Mary Shepherd, which cast anchor in the Bay of Islands in February 1866. After seeing the settlement fairly started, he removed, at the invitation of Bishop Selwyn, to Howick, where for 16 years he discharged the arduous duties of a country incumbent with zeal and ability, and which only left when advancing years commenced to unfit him for the growing work of his extensive and scattered district. Returning to Ireland in 1882, he was appointed to the rectory of Quivoy, in the diocese of Kilmore, where he also acted as chaplain to Lord Lanesborough. He performed the duties of these offices with his usual faithfulness until less than two years ago, when he was forced at last to resign all ministerial work. He then retired to Tully House, on his own property, in the County Monaghan, where he died on December 9, 1895, at the ripe age of 72. Mr Hall leaves a widow and five sons, two of whom, Dr J. C. Hall, J.P., and Captain C. Hall, are in Ireland. The others being Dr H. Hall, of Kamo, and Messrs J. A. L. and R. A. Hall, of Kawakawa. Mr Hall was the author of several theological works, mainly of a controversial character, the principal of which is an essay on Swedenborgianism. But he was best known and chiefly esteemed as the zealous parish priest and courteous gentleman of the old school. Braving all obstacles and enduring all hardships with a sanguine cheerfulness peculiarly his own, equally at home with all classes of the community, his faithful discharge of his sacred office, was only equalled by the hearty Irish hospitality so freely extended to an ever-widening circle of friends of all creeds and denominations.

HALLIDAY On November 12th, 1894, at Cambridge Farm, Mauku, George Halliday, aged 79 years, late of H.M.'s 58th and 65th Regiments.

HAMILTON Died 21st October 1850, Catherine Hamilton, aged 31 years.

HAMILTON Died 8th January 1852, Jessy Hamilton, aged 30 years.

HAMILTON Died 30th March 1852, Alexander Hamilton, aged 42 years.

HAMILTON Died 14th October 1852, Elizabeth Hamilton, aged 42 years.

HAMLIN The funeral of Trooper Hamlin, of the Auckland Cavalry, took place on the 12th February at Otahuhu. The Auckland Cavalry, who mustered 22, under Captain Seccombe, formed the firing party at the grave. A number of the "A" Battery of Artillery, under Captain Le Roy, were in the cortege. The service at the grave was read by the Rev F. Gould. 1886.

HANNEKIN Died 15th November 1847, Elizabeth Hannekin, aged 8 years.

HANNEKIN Died 26th February 1848, Matilda Hannekin, aged 5 months.

HARDY Died 3rd February 1853, Eliza Diana Hardy, daughter of a Pensioner, aged 12 years.

HARP Another of the old identities passed away during last week in the person of Mr James Harp, familiarly known as Jimmy Harp. He was quite a character in his own way. Over half a century ago Mr George Graham, who is now living in Brighton, bought him out of a regiment in Dublin. Jimmy having pressing reasons at the time for not making the acquaintance of the big drummer, the latter personage observing that "hit high or hit low there is no pleasing these fellows." He took 'the shilling" again, joining the 80th, and came out to the colonies, where he bought out and went into business opening a small shop in ironmongery and general goods, provisions, etc. Jimmy's early education had been neglected, and he had not even got to the "pothook and hanger" stage. All his papers and deeds are signed thus: 'J. HARP." His mode of bookkeeping was unique, being on the hieroglyphic principle. An amusing illustration or two will suffice. He billed one of the three "Sandies" - Sandy Black - with a cheese. Sandy solemnly declared he had never had a cheese, but on looking over his books he found he had never been charged for a grindstone. He informed Jimmy of his discovery; Jimmy referred to his ledger, and found that he had forgotten to put a square hole in the centre of the "cheese" to indicate that it was a grindstone, and affairs were amicably settled between the parties. Mr Graham was in the habit of getting stores from Jimmy for the Public Works Department, he being Clerk of Works. There was some doubt about who had ordered certain goods. On referring to Jimmy's ledger the matter was put beyond all doubt. Jimmy had drawn a picture of a sapper with a lance-corporal's badge on his arm, and it was then known that :Lance-Corporal Jones was the real Simon Pure who had authorised the purchase of the goods! It was fortunate for Mr Lawson, the Official Assignee in Bankruptcy that Jimmy never "filed his schedule," as the examination of that ledger would have been the death of him.

HARP In our obituary column this week will be found recorded the decease of a very old Auckland colonist, Mr James Harp, who died at Paparoa, near Howick, at the age of 79. The deceased was a soldier in early life, and belonged to the 80th Regiment. He came down from Sydney in the gun-brig Victoria, Captain Deck, with his detachment, and served throughout the Northern native war. After his arrival in Auckland he bought out and entered into business, selling everything from a needle to an anchor. He resided for many years on what was known as Smale's Point. Mr Harp was perhaps one of the most original and noted of the old identities, and when he was in town the other day inquiring about the military land scrip which had been awarded him by the late Commission, a friend who had known him for half a century endeavoured to get the story of his life from, but failed. Of late years he has lived in comparative retirement at Howick, but in his day was a noted man of Auckland. His funeral took place on November 19. There was a large attendance of the residents, among them being some of the old New Zealand Fencibles, who, like the deceased, had served the Queen. Among the Auckland friends present were Mr Alexander Brodie (formerly of the Army Telegraph Department), and Mr G. S. Graham, who represented his father, Mr George Graham, who been the friend and benefactor of deceased for the greater portion of his life. The deceased was buried in the Church of England Cemetery, Howick; and the burial service was conducted by the Rev A. Fox. Buried All Saints' Cemetery, Howick 19th November 1891 aged 78 years.

HARRIET Died 10th September 1849, William Harriett, aged 10 months.

HARRIS Died 28th January 1848, William Harris, aged 23 years.

HARRIS Died 28th January 1848, James Henry Harris.

HARRIS On September 22, at his brother's residence, Harrisville, Walter John Harris, aged 61 years.

HARRIS On October 20, at Bridge Farm, Thomas Harris, aged 72 years. 1890?

HARRIS On May 30, 1893, at the residence of her son (B. Harris), Harrisville, Amelia, relict of the late George Harris, of East Tamaki, aged 81 years.

HARRIS Another northern identity has also died in Mr Charles Harris, who after 28 years existence in Mangonui, died there at an advanced age. His death was very sudden as he was in apparent good health an hour before his death.

HARRISON In our obituary column appears a notice of the death of a veteran in a double sense - veteran soldier and a veteran colonist, Captain J. H. Rogers-Harrison,, at the ripe age of 76 years. Captain Harrison was born in Hertfordshire on the 26th December , 1820, and in 1839 he joined the Chatham division of marines, but he bought out his discharge, and in 1842 he joined the 11th Regiment of Foot, with which he arrived in Hobartown in 1846, and reached Sydney the same year. Here he was transferred to the 58th Regiment, and coming on with the regiment to New Zealand in 1847, he obtained promotion to the rank of ensign in January, 1851, receiving the Queen's good conduct bounty of 100. He served on detachments in the Bay of Islands from 1853 to 1855, and then proceeded to Taranaki as paymaster and quartermaster to the detachment under Major (now General) Nugent. From thence he returned to Auckland in the same year. In the following year he was appointed he was appointed captain of the Auckland militia. At the commencement of the Maori war he was sent to Sydney by the then Defence Minister, the Hon Thomas Russell, to raise some men for the Waikato Militia, and on his return he was appointed acting-quartermaster-general to the colonial forces. This office he held until the end of the war. He was then appointed a commissioner by the Government to arrange accounts between the Imperial and Colonial Governments, but after the settlement of the war difficulties Captain Harrison retired into private life, and took no further prominent part in public affairs.

HARTNETT Died 16th February 1849, Mary Hartnett, aged 42 years.

HASLAM On March 3, 1908, Charles James, youngest son of Margaret and the late Patrick Haslam, aged 36 years. The funeral will leave his mother's residence, South Street, Newton, tomorrow (Thursday). Friends are invited to accept this intimation.
New Zealand Herald Wednesday 4th March 1908.

HASLAM On April 9, at the residence of her daughter, 29 Crummer Road, after a long illness, Margaret, relict of the late Patrick Haslam, of the 58th Regiment, and the Drill Instructor of the Auckland Militia Volunteers, in her 90th year. Private interment at the Symonds Street Cemetery, today (Wednesday) at 3.30 p.m.
New Zealand Herald Wednesday 9th April 1919.

HASLAM Died 8th April 1919 at 29 Crummer Road, Margaret Haslam, widow, aged 89 years. Born Burham Puir (Berhampore?), India, daughter of James Fox, soldier, and ....... ......., (should read ...) in New Zealand 74 years. Married at Otahuhu at age 21 to Patrick Haslam. Male issue living at time of death - aged 54, 50. Female issue living - aged 65, 64, 56?, 52. Buried Symonds Street Cemetery with her late husband who was buried January 1900. Funeral account to be sent to P. Haslam, 19 South Street, Newton.

HATCH Died 1st November 1848, Robert Loxdale Hatch, aged 29 years.

HAULTAIN On Sept. 21, at Wellington (suddenly) Eva Caroline, widow of the late Theodore Haultain and eldest daughter of the late J. E. Coney, in her 72nd year. The funeral will leave Watney Sibun's Chapel at 2 p.m. tomorrow (Sunday). private interment.
New Zealand Herald Saturday 22nd September 1934.

HAWKES Died 28th March 1843, twin daughter of Hawkes, aged 2 years 6 months.

HAWKES Died 3rd July 1843, Eliza Hawkes, wife of Benjamin Hawkes, aged 30 years.

HAWKES Died 27th October 1842, Henry Hawkes, infant son of Benjamin and Eliza Hawkes.

HAWKES Died 29th October 1930 at 35 Sale Street, Henry Hawkes, waterside worker, aged 72 years. Born Auckland, son of Henry Hawkes, waterman, and Margaret ...... Married at Auckland at age 19 to Louisa Williams. Male issue living - 52, 50, 42, 40, 36, 32. Female issue living - 48, 30. Buried Symonds Street Cemetery with his wife (who died about 30 years ago), account to Mr M. Hawkes, 2 Adelaide Street, Freeman's Bay.
Vol 49, page 125, C. Little records, Auckland Public Library.

HAWKINS Died 9th April 1850, Maria Hawkins, aged 6 days.

HEAD Died at Panmure 3rd August 1883, William Head, Pensioner, of paralysis, aged 84 years. Buried Panmure Catholic Cemetery 5th August 1883. Born Roscrea, Tipperary, Ireland, in New Zealand 30 years. Married at Morreygall, Irealand at age 22 to Bridget Carroll.
Informant - John Porter, blacksmith, Panmure.

HEATH Died 20th January 1849, Patrick Heath, aged 8 months.

HEATH Mr Thomas Heath,, who died at Howick on January 3, aged 87 years, was a native of Wiltshire. He was one of the Royal New Zealand Fencibles. Arriving with his family in this colony in 1847, he was posted to Howick. Here he served seven years with the Fencibles, and has been a resident in Howick from that time till the day of his death. Mr Heath was highly-respected, and was for some time, a Vestryman of All Saints' Church, and he, being the last of the old Fencibles at that place, his death has created a blank in that settlement. His funerals took place on Monday, and was largely attended. The coffin, covered by the Union Jack, was followed to the grave by his children, grandchildren and many old soldiers, the neighbouring settlers also attending. The Rev R.G. Boler was the officiating clergyman. The last Mr Heath in his young days had seen active service in the Royal Marines, his ship, the Hastings (72 guns), being with the Admiral the Hon. Sir Robert Stopford in the operations on the coast of Syria, against Mehemet Ali, Pasha of Egypt, in 1840. One of the first fights of this campaign was on the 12th of July, when a frigate and two sloops attacked the strong tower of Gebail. After bombarding the place for an hour, they landed a storming party of 370 marines and mountaineers under the command of Captain Austin. The party, after scrambling over dykes and through cactus fences, arrived under the castle. Here they discovered that the strength of the enemy had been greatly underrated. When within a short distance of the castle the party became exposed to a heavy discharge of musketry from loop-holes nearly level with the ground. The assailants were now brought to a standstill, and as they could only fire on the loop-holes, it was judged necessary to retire to the boats. The British loss upon this occasion was five killed and 18 wounded. The bombardment was continued for four hours. In the night, the garrison, from want of provisions, evacuated the place. It was now found that the Castle of Gebail was sufficiently strong to have withstood the whole of the Mediterranean fleet. (See Allen's Battles of the British Navy.) Amongst the wounded upon this occasion was the late Mr Heath. He was afterwards retired from active service, receiving a pension and a silver medal for Syria.

HEATH Died 13th December 1920 at 21 Union Street, Catherine Heath, widow, aged 77 years. Born Chatham, England, daughter of Bernard McDonald, contractor, and Catherine ....., in New Zealand 75 years Married (1) at age 17 to Charles Hampton and (2) at 22 to Michael Heath. Male issue living - aged 50, 48, 39, 32. Female issue living - aged 55. Buried Symonds Street Catholic Cemetery with ther husband who died 27 years previously and 2 daughters and 1 son. Coffin to be like that of her sister, Mrs McShane.

HEMMING On March 24, 1888, at East Tamaki, Richard Hemming, after a long and painful illness, aged 40 years.

HEMMING On April 17, 1892, at her residence, East Tamaki, Eliza Hemming, aged 43 years.

HEMMINGS FATAL ACCIDENT - AN OLD SETTLER KILLED - A most lamentable and distressing accident occurred in Wyndham Street on the 20th November, resulting in the death of Mr Joseph Hemmings, a farmer at East Tamaki. Mr Hemmings brought a cart load of straw into the city for sale, and in the yards of Messrs A. Buckland and Sons it was disposed of by public auction. The load was purchased by Mr T. McCarthy on behalf of Mr S. Ritchie, proprietor of the Wyndham Street stables, and Mr Hemmings started to drive the load to the stables accompanied by Mr T. McCarthy. Going up Wyndham Street, shortly after 11 a.m., and when almost opposite the Shakespeare Hotel, the tarpaulin covering the straw was blown off, and a stoppage was made to replace it. Mr Hemmings turned the horse so that it headed across the street, and, standing on the animal's back, endeavoured to haul up the tarpaulin, the corner of which had been handed to him by a young lad. The horse must have been touched by the tarpaulin and frightened, for it wheeled round and started down the street, momentarily increasing its pace. Owing to lameness Mr McCarthy was unable to render any assistance, and stood a helpless spectator of all that unfortunately happened. Calling out repeatedly to the horse to stop, Mr Hemmings got down upon the shafts, but apparently unable to maintain his balance there, he made a jump for it. The frame of the cart struck him, and doubling him completely up, threw him to the ground, a wheel passing over his right leg, body and probably grazing his head. Mr Hemmings was at once taken to Mr J. P. King's chemist's shop in Queen Street, where Dr King was in attendance. An examination proved that the right leg was broken in two places, that the skull was fractured, and that concussion of the brain had taken place. The unfortunate man was temporarily attended to and then conveyed to the Hospital, but it was evident that his recovery could not possibly be expected. When he arrived at the Hospital he was sinking fast, and shortly after one o'clock he died. Had the sufferer's condition permitted the attempt the medical staff intended to perform the operation of trepanning, but even that would have been a forlorn hope, owing to the age of Mr Hemmings, 70 years, and the nature of the injuries he received. Mr Hemmings was well-known and respected in the Tamaki district, and leaves a widow and seven grandchildren, his only son having died some time ago. An inquest on the body was held at the Hospital on Saturday, November 21. The evidence disclosed no facts additional to those published above, and the following verdict was returned:- "That the deceased was accidentally killed by a cart passing over his body." Dr Philson was the coroner, and Mr Ralph Wilson foreman of the jury. The funeral took place on Nov. 22, the cortege leaving deceased's late residence, Flat Bush. There was a large gathering of settlers to pay the last mark of respect to the memory of the deceased.

HENSON Died 7th August 1851, Henry Henson, aged 36 years.

HENWOOD Died 8th October 1890, at his late residence, The Apple Farm, East Tamaki, John Snell Henwood, aged 40 years. Deeply regretted. The funeral will leave his late address tomorrow (Thursday) at 2.30 p.m. for Otahuhu. Friends please accept this intimation.

HICKSON On April 10, at Parkhead, Dalby, Queensland, Edward Staveley Hickson, in his 68th year
New Zealand Herald Thursday 30th April 1908.

HIGGINS Died 1st September 1851, Bernard Higgins, aged 26 years.

HIGGS On Sept. 17, at the District Hospital, Mary Ann, the dearly beloved wife of James Higgs, and daughter of the late James and Mary May, of Panmure, in her 64th year. The funeral will leave her late residence , No. 26 Summer Street, Eden Terrace, today (Monday) at 12.35 p.m. for the Waikumete Cemetery. Friends will please accept this intimation.
New Zealand Herald Monday 18th September 1916.

HILL Died 7th June 1848, George Hill, aged 46 years.

HOBBS Died 8th August 1848, William Hobbs, aged 24 years.

HOGAN Died 28th October 1849, Joseph Hogan, aged 19 months.

HOGAN Died at Panmure 14th October 1920, John Patrick Hogan, aged 76 years. Born County Cork, Ireland, in New Zealand 50 years. Married at Auckland at age 21 to margaret Roach, no issue. Buried Roman Catholic Cemetery, Panmure.

HOGAN On Nov. 26, at Newcastle, NSW, John, beloved eldest son of the late James and Jane Hogan, of Panmure. R. I. P. (By cable, Sydney papers please copy.

HOGAN On Nov. 26, at Newcastle, NSW, John, dearly loved brother of Mrs Fleming, Mrs J. Loomb, Annie and Bell. R. I. P. (Sydney papers please copy.)
New Zealand Herald 30th November 1936.

HOLLAND On January 17, 1889, after a long and painful illness, at his residence, Whirlwhirl, Waiuku, William Holland, late of H. M. 58th Regt., and of Gayton, Norfolk, England, aged 58 years. English papers please copy.

HOLMDEN Died 1st December 1861, Henry Holmden, of Khyber Pass Road, aged 47 years.

HOOKER Died 11th June 1908 at Summer Street, Ponsonby, Stephen Hooker, clerk, aged 90 years. Born England, son of Stephen Hooker, gentleman, in New Zealand 49 years. Married America at age 33 to Louisa Howe. Male issue living - aged 60, 58, 55, 48. Female issue living - aged 66, 57, 41. Buried Church of England Symonds Street Cemetery from Summer Street in house opposite that with a flagpole. Account to be sent to Mr James White Hooker, Summer Street, Ponsonby.
Vol 8, page 174, C. Little records, Auckland Public Library.

HOOP ** On the 20th inst., Frances Davies, the beloved wife of Mr John Hoop, late of Betabet. Dublin papers please copy. The funeral will leave the residence, Whau Road, this day, at 3 o'clock. Friends are respectfully invited attend.
New Zealand Herald 22nd April 1865.

HOOP ** On June 9th 1873, Mr John Hoop, late Sergeant of the 39th Regiment, aged 72 years. The funeral will leave his late residence, Cabbage Tree Swamp Road.

HOPKINS Died 5th July 1852, John Hopkins, aged 8 years 4 months.

HOSKEN On November 5, 1944, at his residence, 23 Horoeka Avenue, Mount Eden, Uter B. Hosken, dearly beloved husband of Margaret and loving father of Raymond, Rona and Nance, aged 61 years. A service will be held at the above address Wednesday, November 8, at 10.45 a.m., funeral then leaving for Hillsborough Cemetery.
New Zealand Herald Tuesday 6th November 1944.

HOVELL On the arrival of the mail steamer Monowai from San Francisco on the 23rd March the many friends of Dr C. H. J. Hovell, the respected surgeon of the steamer, were grieved to learn that the gentleman had died on the voyage across. For some time past the deceased had suffered from a complication of ailments, principally degeneration of the kidneys and diabetes. He died on March 14, and was buried at sea on the same day just north of the line, the usual services being held on the occasion. Dr Hovell was about 78 years of age, and for a number of years had resided at Coromandel, where his widow resides. He leaves a grown-up family of three sons and one daughter. Mrs Hovell arrived by the steamer Coromandel on March 23, intimation of the sad event having been sent by telegram shortly after the Monowai's arrival.

HOVENDEN Died 5th March 1850, William Hovenden, aged 1 year 4 months.

HUME On June 12, at Karangahape Road, Auckland, Clarinda Adeline Hume, of Parawai, Thames, aged 65 years.

HUNT On July 11, at the residence of his parents', Waipuna, Panmure, Frederick, eldest son of James Hunt, aged 17 years.

HUNT On Tuesday, December 27, 1892, at his residence, Waipuna, Panmure, James Hunt, husband of Margaret Hunt, aged 47 years.

HUNTER Died 5th July 1849, Robert Hunter, aged 36 years.

HUNTER On June 10, at Mangapai, of acute bronchitis, Sarah Jane, the beloved wife of Thomas Hunter, J.P. Deeply regretted.

HUNTER On June 9, at Owen's Road, Mount Eden, Rosa, the beloved wife of Alexander Hunter, aged 75 years.
New Zealand Herald Thursday 11th June 1896.

HUTCHESON On Christmas Day, at half past four p.m., Constable McInnes, of Howick, received information that the body of a man was seen in a small bay between the Tamaki Heads and Mason's Bay. He got a boat, and, accompanied by some young men of the township, proceeded to the spot indicated, and found the body. Meantime he had sent word to Mr W. Hutcheson, of Pakuranga, who, with a party of friends, walked overland. On reaching the place, Mr Hutcheson recognised the remains as those of his son, Charles Hutcheson, who had been missing since the 17th November, by the clothes and boots. The hand and trunk had completely gone; but the arms, legs, and feet were intact. On the body being searched 6s. 6d. in silver were found in the pockets, and a shirt stud, which Mr Hutcheson identified as belonging to his son. There were about 300 pleasure seekers on the Howick beach when the discovery was made, and they at once dispersed, the event causing quite a gloom among all present. Much sympathy is felt for the family of the deceased. The remains were removed to Howick. The deceased young man had only recently returned from Christchurch, where he said he had received a blow on the head. He was low-spirited, but believed to be recovering. His parents reported his disappearance to Constable McInnes, of Howick, and every possible inquiry had been made for him throughout the district, but without success. An inquest on the remains was held Dec. 27, at Howick, before Captain Irwin, coroner. The jury, after hearing the evidence adduced, returned a verdict of "Found drowned." (Probably died 17th November 1890, buried from All Saints' Church 27th December 1897.) Son of William Walker Hutchinson and Mary Anne Watson.